Thursday, December 24, 2015

Merry Christmas


Hello world!

Wow, it has been a while since I last posted. These past couple of months have been hectic and busy on this side of the Mason-Dixon line, between finals and work and the overall Christmas season. But, I wanted to take a few minutes to wish you all a very merry Christmas.

Now, to make my post a little longer, I wanted to give you an idea for decorating next December (or November or whenever you start decorating ;-) ). This year, the tree that I usually put in my room was not brought up with the rest of the boxes of ornaments. So, instead of just letting that corner of my room stay empty I decided to do something new: I made a book tree. There are enough books in my room that I could easily pull this off and still have books to spare. So I did it. Unfortunately, I could not get a picture to put on here (I still haven't figured out how to get pictures off my Kindle Fire onto my computer so I could put them on here), but I can tell you how I figured it out.

Basically what I did was pull most of my books off my shelves and stacked them around the corner where I would build my tree. Once that task was accomplished, the fun part began. I started my tree with a circle of about 5 of my biggest books (this was to make sure I had a sturdy base) with one in the middle. Then, I took more books and stacked them around the circle, kind of like building a cone structure with cups, making each layer a little less wide than the one below it. As I built up, the books got smaller, and the number of books in each layer got smaller until I got down to stacking one on top of the other. These I offset the corners a little to give a little stability and to give it a little visual interest. This sequence I started once more with a large-ish book and worked my way down from there. For the top, I took one of my Christmas books and stood it up with the pages fanned, to give a little interest and add to the bookish theme. So there you have it, my book Christmas tree. I must say I will be doing this again next year. If you have any tips for me, let me know, or if you have done a book tree, I'd love to hear about it, how big, what theme (if any), etc.

Merry Christmas everyone! May your days be merry and bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment